Monday, June 25, 2012

Whoopie pies & macarons @ Pique Nique, Takashimaya Singapore

So, back to our Singapore trip in May... Before we went to Singapore, I looked up places for breakfast and macarons, and came across Pique Nique. Pique Nique is actually part of the Sugar Daddy Group that also own Antoinette


Nice things come in threes..


We had Antoinette's macarons during our last Singapore trip, and liked it hence we had faith in Pique Nique. Pique Nique is located in Takashimaya Tower A Level B1, directly opposite KFC. After our Japanese breakfast here and here, we headed straight to Pique Nique for some desserts!



Relaxed ambiance


Milk cans on the wall as part of the decor

I was certainly mesmerised by the beautiful cakes and rows of colorful macarons in the display counter at the front of the shop. After much deliberation, I settled for 2 macarons and a whoopie pie on top of my french toast order.

So what's a whoopie pie? It's an American creation, of two round mound-shaped chocolate cake with a sweet, creamy filling. At a glance, it looks a little bit like a macaron, but if you look closely you will notice it does not have feet. The whoopie pies at Pique Nique had a cute sign saying "I am not a macaron" and another saying "I am really not a macaron". LOL.



How cute is that?


I picked the red velvet and cookies & cream mint macaron (SGD2.00 each) as the flavours sounded quite unique and ones which I've not tried before in a macaron. I enjoyed both flavours - the mint flavour was refreshing and left a cooling sensation on the tongue (a bit like toothpaste but in a nice way hehe). I felt the red velvet one was very cute with the star toppings and all, and still tasted like a proper macaron despite its cuteness - nice texture and thick, creamy filling. 




Nice macarons here


Slightly chewy texture - good!


Nice feet


It's my first time tasting a whoopie pie (SGD2.00). If I was asked to describe it in my own words, I would say it's like a mini chocolate cake with cream filling. It was alright, but personally I prefer the macaron to a whoopie pie. Well, at least I've tried it.


English Breakfast Tea (SGD4.50)

Since I was feeling greedy, I also ordered a French Toast with salted caramel and creme Chantilly (aka whipped cream) (SGD7.50) to share with Hubby. The French toast is decent, but I found the salted caramel too sweet (and couldnt really taste the salt). You could also opt to have the French toast with maple syrup instead of salted caramel. The portion is quite generous for the price.



They also have many other breakfast items around the range of $12-15, which is quite reasonably priced for Singapore standards.


Verdict: Nice place for sweets and treats, wouldn't mind coming back for more of their macarons! ;)


Full set of photos can be viewed on my Facebook page here. 

Opening times: 10am to 9.30pm daily.

Service: Good.

Price: Total bill SGD21.20.

Location: Pique Nique, Level B1, #B1-01-1-2, Tower A, Ngee Ann City, Takashimaya Departmental Store, 391A Orchard Road, Singapore, 238873.

Tel: +65 6238 6705

Website: http://www.piquenique.com.sg or Facebook page here. 

Nearest MRT: Orchard

25 comments:

  1. Hee! I love those, I am not a macaron signs. I love the sound of Whoopee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I should learn how to make them.. they look easier than macarons!

      Delete
  2. what a cool name for a cafe. this is yet another one that i wish would open a branch in KL! they could definitely launch a whoopie pie craze! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish they would open in KL too!! I absolutely adore their macarons.

      Btw I'll let you in on a little secret... a chef by the initials SA sometimes makes whoopie pies in his restaurant. :P

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I love macarons with thick filling..! ♥ ♥ ♥

      Delete
  4. oh my gosh! this cafe sounds really awesome and it looks so attractive! Can’t resist the macaron, it looks really yummy *nom nom* mouth watery! Wanna try it so badly =(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are quite a few places in KL which does good macarons too. Want a list? ;D

      Delete
  5. oh my gosh! this cafe sounds really awesome and it looks so attractive! Can’t resist the macaron, it looks really yummy *nom nom* mouth watery! Wanna try it so badly =(

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow...nice picture....really make me feel hungry.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my blog and dropping a comment! Appreciate it :)

      Delete
  7. drooling again...
    i am craving for desserts now ahhh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ai Wei, are you working in Seremban now? Got a good tong sui place that opens in the evening.

      Delete
  8. Nom! Nom! I would love those macarons!!! Slurpssss!!!! $2? The price tag shows RM2.15, I think... ++ kah?

    ReplyDelete
  9. We always hang around Orchard road when we go S'pore, next time can go and try the macaron at this place, any peanut butter flavor dessert? :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe I think they have peanut butter and caramel ice cream as well as PB&J milkshake ;P
      http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=204005802975941&set=a.204005442975977.50008.193000054076516&type=3&theater

      Delete
  10. Macarons are just so cute and pretty... who can resist it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know some people who dont like macarons cos they find it too sweet. But I love them, I always go searching for good ones around KL and Spore (when I visit).

      Delete
  11. OMG! Those desserts! I think I will have a hard time choosing them. =p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yalo... hard for me too, somemore this was our no. 4 breakfast of the morning!

      Delete
  12. Okay that Cookies and cream flavoured macaron alone will put this on my to-visit place if I'm in Singapore soon!

    Always love your macaron pics btw :D

    -Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy! I really love the macarons in SG as they come with such thick fillings.

      Delete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...