Friday, November 1, 2013

Recipe: Homemade Pork and Prawn Wantans in Soup

When I was growing up, we loved going out on weekends to have wantan mee. Served along with the wantan mee are these bouncy and juicy wantans (usually made from pork) in a small bowl of soup. Then, when I was studying overseas, I learnt how to make wantans whenever I craved them and thankfully, the wantan skins are easily accessible from Asian supermarkets.

Homemade Pork and Prawn Wantans in Soup

I have not made wantans for a few years now, but my daughter is incredibly fond of them, so I made some when I made some char siew (BBQ pork) last week (recipe coming up soon!). For our homemade wantans, the filling is a combination of minced pork, diced prawns and spring onions. I encouraged the kids to give it a try too - wrapping the wantans is FUN! (see Step 2 in recipe for step-by-step instructions).



Baby C with her first homemade wantan


Baby D giving it a go too - with a little help from mummy

In wantan mee stalls, the wantans are served in a small bowl of soup, usually seasoned with MSG (we never drink it, otherwise we'd be very thirsty for the rest of the day!). Since my kids love drinking soup, I cooked them in chicken broth. Baby C absolutely adored the wantans, as they were plump and juicy. Hip hip hooray!




Homemade Pork and Prawn Wantans in Soup
Recipe by Baby Sumo
Preparation time: 20-30 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Makes 30


Ingredients
200g pork mince
70g peeled prawns, diced
1 1/2 tbsp spring onions, finely chopped
2 tsp light soy sauce
A pinch of salt
A pinch of white pepper
1 tsp ginger wine
30 wantan skins

To serve
1.5l chicken stock
Salt, to taste
2 tbsp spring onions, finely chopped


1.  In a bowl, place the pork mince, prawns, spring onions, soy sauce, white pepper, and ginger wine. Mix well and marinate for 10-15 minutes.



2. To wrap wantans: Prepare a small bowl of water. Take 1 piece of wantan skin, and place a small mound (roughly 1 tsp) of filling in the centre. Dip your finger into the water, and run it around the edges of the wantan wrapper. Bring the opposite edges together to form a triangle. Gather the top of the wantan skins and seal with more water to form a wantan parcel.



3. Place chicken stock in a saucepan over medium heat and bring to the boil. Once boiling, add the wantans (cook in 4 batches) and cook until the wantans float to the top, about 1 1/2-2 minutes.

4. Serve in a small bowl with some chicken stock and garnish with some spring onions.

Note: Your children can help wrap the wantans (Step 2).



If you enjoyed reading my posts, LIKE me on Facebook! Thanks :)

15 comments:

  1. You can get wanton skin from the supermarts there? Hmmmm...sure would love to give it a try - not the same as our "pain sip" skin - the local Foochow version of the wanton, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we can easily get the wantan skin in supermarkets here - Jusco/Tesco/Giant, they all have this in the tofu/fresh noodles section.

      Delete
  2. Hi Yen, that look appetizing. Sure love to have a big bowl. :))

    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These wantons look incredibly delicious with those noodles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the cool thing is, your kids will have great memories of wantans too, just like you do! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was always my comfort food when I was sick as a kid along with congee. I still love them and hubby gets so excited when I make these! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely homemade wontan soup, I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Homemade wanton soup, can have as much as wanton we want. If eat outside, so expensive if want to add more, hehehe..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya lo.. some shops so kedekut lah, only give 2 wantan per plate of wantan mee. Usually I got no chance to eat cos my daughter will sapu all cos she likes wantans a lot. Hehe.

      Delete
  8. Looks so pro & appetizing ! You've even cooked Wonton mee ! YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cooked wantan mee cos I made char siew! Ho ho ;)

      Delete
  9. Yen, I love wantans! I used to buy the frozen ones for my soup. I am just too lazy to make my own.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought you've made wonton skin as well :D Those wontons look very appetizing , yup , I'll have mine with a plateful of fried noodles , please ?! Great job , kids , okay , you , too , Mom lol

    ReplyDelete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...