Thursday, November 7, 2013

Recipe: Moist Oat, Banana and Blueberry Muffins

This month, Vivian from Vivian Pang's Kitchen is hosting Little Thumbs Up and her chosen ingredient is "oats". I was going through my drafts folder, and found this recipe for oat, banana and blueberry muffins which I baked sometime ago but had not blogged about yet.

Oat, banana and blueberry muffins


Bananas and blueberries are two of Baby D's favorite fruits, so he was very excited when I told him we were baking these muffins. A really easy one to put together as you just need to mix the ingredients with a wooden spoon (no electric mixer required), hence a great recipe to do with your kids.

This recipe is adapted from Tana Ramsay's (wife of Gordon Ramsay) "Real Family Food" cookbook. I reduced the sugar from 150g to 80g and also added 2 bananas to give it moistness and also some natural sweetness. The recipe calls for buttermilk, which you can make from scratch if you can't find it in the shops -simply mix full cream milk and lemon juice and allow the milk to curdle. See Step 1 in recipe below for full instructions.


These muffins were moist and bursting with fruity flavours. The oat topping lends an extra crunchy texture to the muffins. Definitely a big hit with the kids.


Two of his favorite fruits wrapped into one delicious muffin!


Beautiful day in KL!



Oat, banana and blueberry muffins
Recipe by Baby Sumo, adapted from Tana Ramsay's Real Family Food
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25-30 minutes
Makes 12


Ingredients
340g self raising flour
80g soft brown sugar
25g porridge oats (plus 10g extra for sprinkling)
180ml buttermilk
125ml vegetable oil
2 ripe bananas, mashed
125g fresh blueberries
1 egg, beaten

1.  To make buttermilk using milk, simply place 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice in a measuring jug, then pour milk until the 1 cup mark. Leave for 5 minutes for the milk to curdle. Alternatively, you can also whisk whipping cream with an electric whisk until it separates into buttermilk and butter (which you can reserve for other uses).

2. Preheat oven to 180°C (no fan).  Place 12 paper cases into a muffin tin.

Lining the muffin tray with paper cups


3. Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl, add the sugar and oats and mix thoroughly. Add the buttermilk, egg, vegetable oil and banana, mix well then gently fold in the blueberries, taking care not to crush them.

Mixing the flour with sugar and oats


Kids love mashing bananas!

And also beating eggs!

Mixing everything together

Fold in the blueberries gently


4. Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases, dividing it equally between them. Sprinkle the extra oats on top and place in the oven for 25-30 minutes until golden and firm to the touch.



5. Remove from oven and transfer to a wire cooling rack.






*I am submitting this to the Little Thumbs Up "Oats" event organized by Bake for Happy Kids, my little favourite DIY and hosted by Vivian Pang's Kitchen. You can link your oat recipes here.

*I am also submitting this to Cook-Your-Books #6 hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours .


If you enjoyed reading my posts, LIKE me on Facebook! Thanks :)

14 comments:

  1. Good morning Yen,
    I enjoy looking at Baby D in action.
    He is your great helper and the muffins turn out just really good!

    My kids loves banana and blueberry too.
    They be be so happy if auntie Yen can send 3 cups over .. LoL
    Thanks for linking to LTU.
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's always lovely to see how your kid was helping you in the kitchen! wow, this muffin has a very good combination. love the oats, love the blueberries & love the banana! this muffin must be soooooooo tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yen, your kids sure got very early training in baking! I always love muffins with bananas and the addition of oats add extra fibre!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom wasn't a baker, so even now I still don't understand some of baking common sense. I have to learn it on my own. I shouldn't make a same mistake and involve my kids to bake with me too! Love that baby D is baking with you. Looks like these muffins are very moist and delicious! My favorite combo - banana and blueberries! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These blueberry muffins look yummy with the oats and blueberry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a muffin in my post today, full of nuts - not too crazy about that. I think I would very much prefer yours. I love oats.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Baby D is so cute - nice to see him baking in the kitchen with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can I have two for my breakfast? :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Baby D is a great helper in kitchen. Enjoy photos of him in action. You train him very well. Great combo muffins. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely muffins, Yen! I love the addition of bananas in it!
    Thanks for linking with CYB!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look scrumptious! I always love the goodness of oats. They keep me full and are good for you :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oats! Looks like they'd add a really nice texture to these muffins!

    ReplyDelete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...